Wednesday, April 20, 2016

When the Fireplace is Not in Use

One of the things I love most in this colonial house we moved into six years ago is the gas fireplace. Hubby and I spend most cold winter evenings snuggled up near it while reading and chatting.

And that's great. But what happens when temperatures start to rise, as they have the last few weeks here in Virginia? Well, usually nothing happens. We spend the warm weather months staring at a black rectangle. Repeat after me: ugly!

Recently I spotted a great idea on Pinterest (sorry, I failed to record who posted it originally) but I knew immediately it was just what our black rectangle needed.

Since we're on a "do not spend one penny you don't have to" saga this year, I shopped the house. And honestly, I don't think I could have done better, not even at Home Goods (my favorite store on earth!).



What a change, yes? And the best part is I can easily change out the faux flowers with others in my stash.

Do you have the black rectangle issue in your house during the warmer months? How do you decorate around it?

Mary

Sharing at:
Savvy Southern Style
Cozy Little House
Share Your Cup

5 comments:

  1. I have just cleaned out the fireplace and am trying to decide how to decorate for spring and summer.


    Thanks for sharing with SYC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so clever and something I need to consider Mary. Thank you for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful solution Mary! (Some years I put a big container of hydrangea heads in our fireplace and allow them to gradually dry). Love your mantle arrangement too :)
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. These simple tips are really simple. I have used all these tips and I am surprised that this all works fine. You are a great advisor. Thanks for advising Fireplace is using & benefit service for all.
    wood fireplace installation

    ReplyDelete