Sunday, June 21, 2015

Happy Summer Mantel

I always have to check the spelling of mantel to be sure I got it right, do you? But yes, mantel it is. This summer I wanted my mantel decor to represent vacation seasons of my life. 


When I was young, my family all went north to Pennsylvania to visit Daddy's family there. We stayed in a small trailer on a lake - so there was no shortage of swimming, boating, and fishing. Great fun along with getting to see cousins. When I found this vintage trailer cookie jar at World Market recently, I knew it would perfectly represent my memories of those vacations.



When Mr. 120 and I had our own family, we opted for beach vacations, always heading south to the Outer Banks (locally known as the OBX). There are no shortage of lighthouses along the shores there - Bodie Island, Hatterast, and Corolla lighthouses, (Corolla is near an area where wild horses are protected in their roaming). This little lighthouse was a thrifted find, along with the starfish.


To add to my vacation mantel design, I strung my adorable fabric ball banners (made by Holly at Cutie Pie Cottage) ~



And what's a good summer mantel without a picture of lovely flowers - a $20 find at Home Goods on a recent shopping trip with my friend Betty ~


I had in mind to start buying some "real" pictures (rather than thrifted ...) that I would keep for always. This one is a keeper for sure - love the colors and design. Love the price! Can't pictures be horribly expensive?

So that's my summer vacation mantel, which I plan to enjoy over into September.



We've had a wonderful Father's Day today, as my daughter came over to have lunch with us. She and our still-at-home son gave their Dad pretty new shirts for work and play, so Mr. 120 had a great day.

What's your best summer vacation memory?

Keep decorating ~ 

Mary 

I'm sharing at:


15 comments:

  1. That is adorable! Pinned! We never went on vacations.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary! Oh, your mantel is so cute! Love that cute little trailer cookie jar. You have certainly summered your mantel. This picture is so lovely and fun. Glad your hubby had a nice Father's Day! Mr. Precious did too. We're blessed, aren't we?
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shelia - and glad you and hubby had a nice Father's Day too!

      Delete
  3. How fun to have your mantel decorated with both of your vacation memories.

    I also have one of Holly's garlands.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovvvve your colorful mantel !! Love that turquoise color added in, I'm not addicted after seeing it in one of your post's a short while back :))
    We alway's had a mobile home and boat and would go from Ohio to Florida twice a year. I remember fishing for hour's and alway's having a campfire and making s'mores. Great memorie's for sure !!!
    Glad your family had a nice day ystrdy:)) have a good week, TT

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute! I have been pinning summer mantels for inspiration and this will be pinned for sure!

    ~Trisha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that camper cooker jar. It is so cute. That picture is beautiful. It looks great on your mantel. I hope you're having a good summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute. I like your mantle. Great summer look.

    ReplyDelete
  8. bringing in "vacation" to home is a great idea! Those fabric ball banners are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the summer mantel and its theme and the beautiful colors of summer...and that little travel trailer is the cutest!...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for stopping by and for the encouraging words!! I go Part Time on July 26th!! Whoa!!

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  11. How pretty! I love the little camper and ball garland. I'm visiting from Note songs! We camped at the lake every summer and I loved swimming! Happy summer! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. So beautiful and summery, and a lovely way to capture your vacation memories. Love all the colours you chose and the pretty banner finishes it perfectly.
    My summer memories are of wonderful family holidays in Devon and Cornwall, beside the sea....
    Happy summer, Mary!
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh Mary, I adore this mantel! I usually spell it mantle. I googled it once and thought that it said both spellings were correct. lol! Am I wrong? For some strange reason I liked it spelled that way the best. Ha, ha! The little trailer is precious and the lighthouse is a fun addition! Of course I adore your garland! I have one from Holly hanging in my craft room. I've thought of pulling it out and using it on my mantle sometime. You've inspired me to do just that!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete