Friday, March 13, 2015

Handmade Kitchen Towels


I've been pinning like crazy lately! Since sewing and quilting is my passion, I organized my pins by blog rather than lumping all quilting ideas into one pin and all craft projects into another. Now, I can go to my favorite blogger, find a project and I'm ready to sew!

This week I made three kitchen towels, and I love the way they took my kitchen from winter look to spring look. Isn't it fun how one idea can change the personality of a room like that?



They were simple to make (tutorial below), and once I made one towel, the others were easy-peasy.

SPRING KITCHEN TOWELS

Supplies:

Kitchen towels – I got 4 in a pack at Target for less than $5
Top fabric – 2.5” x width of towel + 2"
Middle fabric – 4.5” x 1.5 times the width of towel
Bottom fabric – 3.5” x 1.5 times the width of towel

Ironing:

1. Top fabric: Iron under 1/4” around each side, then iron under another 1/4” around each side.
2. Middle fabric: Iron under 1/4” on one long side, then iron under another 1/4”. Repeat 1/4" twice on each end.
3. Bottom fabric: Iron same as middle fabric.

Sewing:

1. Middle and bottom fabric: sew gathering stitches along top (side opposite finished side), then gather.
2. Attach bottom fabric with top just 1” above bottom of towel, leaving enough to wrap about 3/4” to the back on each side, pin and sew.
3. Attach middle fabric with bottom 1” above top of bottom fabric, again wrapping ends to back.
4. Pin top fabric so that the bottom of it covers the gathering/stitching seam of the strip below it. Then sew along all four sides (no need to wrap to back).

And there you have your lovely new springtime kitchen towels.



The Pin from Cluck Cluck Sew:

Ruffle Dishtowels in Oh Clementine


The lovely fabrics, called Clementine, were designed by Allison at Cluck Cluck Sew here. Her sweet momma made these towels.


Happy Sewing ~ Mary

19 comments:

  1. Oh Mary, those are absolutely adorable!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great choice of fabrics for your tea towels! They really are perfect for Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are beautiful! So colorful :)
    Please feel free to share them with our new Link Up - Idea box:

    http://milaslittlethings.com/2015/03/idea-box-thursday-link-party.html

    xx
    Mila

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so sweet and I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mary! Oh, these little towels are just darling! You did a great job on them too! Love the bright colors.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful towels! I just adore them!
    I would love for you to stop by my blog and join our Something to Talk About link party!
    Have a great day!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so pretty and look really lovely in your kitchen...perfect for spring!
    Happy weekend, Mary!
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI Mary! I hope you're doing well and your tiny fingers are probably still sewing. Thanks for popping in to see my new curtains.

    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty ! Love your new towels!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your towels are so darn cute and a great way to add a fun pop of color to the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, thank you! I've been wanting to make some. This will make it much easier. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these towels Mary! So bright and cheerful and wonderful fabrics and colors. You did good girl!!

    Big Texas Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Mary! Are you still making cute little towels? Thank you for popping in to see my mantel. I hope you have a blessed Easter.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love these, and want to try to make a few. Great inspiration! Sheila

    ReplyDelete